Monday, October 3, 2011

It's a Go!

After having looked into it I have determined that trying to ressurrect the Skull's Eye is a reasonable project and am giving the project the green light!  I am in fact a little behind as I have already made the first purchase: the hull.

I knew going into this that the hull was going to be the most expensive part of the project.  Whenever I have a piece (or pieces) like that which are essential and exclusive to the set, I always check both Bricklink and eBay.  In this case it turned out that eBay won.  I found a seller offering the complete hull in excellent condition with free shipping for less than any of the stores on Bricklink.  As the hulls would have added substantially to the shipping cost of any Bricklink purchase this was a no brainer for me.  $35.00 later and I am off and running (or sailing as the case may be)!

The hull from the eBay purchase.
After getting the hull (which along with being essential commmits me to the project) my next stop was Peeron for the set inventory.  This past weekend I went through all of my spare parts to see what I had and develop the shopping list which will guide my decisions on how to get the pieces I need and form the basis of the future Bricklink purchases.  I was pleasantly suprised by how many of the parts I already had.  This is the beauty of some of these older sets, as Lego did not have as large a pool of pieces to draw from they had to make do by using the ones they had in creative ways.  This translates to sets containing a lot more of the basic pieces which are easy to come by.  I was delighted to find that I had about 30% of the pieces already spread throughout my bags and bins of "spare parts". 

With the hull on order and the shopping list in hand I am ready to tackle the next challenge: figuring out how I am going to get the pieces I need.    

No comments: